We’ve Got Mail…
Since lots of questions have come across the desk in the last several months asking for updates on favorite British comedies or dramas, what favorite Britcom actors and actresses are doing, etc, we’re going to try and to do this once a month on the first Friday of the month.
If you have a question about British comedy, please e-mail us at email@example.com or send a direct message to @tellyspotting on Twitter.
Here’s what we’ve been able to dig up wading through the world of British TV:
- Lots of rumors circulated last year about the demise of Last of the Summer Wine. Word is there will be a season 31 written by Roy Clarke (the man responsible for writing all 30 seasons so far!).
- The Old Guys, starring Clive Swift and Roger Lloyd Pack, has had a second season commissioned based on the successful launch of the series earlier this year.
- The greatness of Maureen Lipman and Anne Reid will return for a second season of Ladies of Letters in 2010. The second series, commissioned by ITV3, will be based on the second book, More Ladies of Letters. **Programming alert – season one will premiere on KERA, Sunday, April 4, 2010 at 11:00pm and is a must see** Series one is also airing on other public television stations nationwide. Check it out.
- The classic 70’s comedy, The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, was updated, not re-made, in mid-2009 starring Martin Clunes from Men Behaving Badly. The comedy series, which centered on Reggie Perrin, the man in the perpetual mid-life crisis, has just been renewed for a second season, again, with original series writer David Nobbs and MBB writer, Simon Nye. Of note is the series also stars Wendy Craig (Butterflies).
- Dawn French has just completed a new series for the BBC with Alfred Molina called Roger and Val Have Just Got In. To be honest, not the laugh-out-loud style of Vicar of Dibley, but does have its’ moments.
- No one has asked this month, but just in case, yes, there are only 12 episodes of Fawlty Towers.
That’s about it for this edition of scattershooting. If you have any questions that you have to have answers or updates for or you just need some party trivia knowledge, don’t forget to e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.