From the Tellyspotting book of little known facts…..
Next time you feel the need to amaze your friends with some British comedy trivia, here are some great starters that will have them, well, amazed. Guaranteed. Or, if you find yourself at a pub quiz and one of these questions pops up…you can thank me later.
- Geoffrey Hughes (Keeping Up Appearances) was the voice of Paul McCartney in the animated version of Yellow Submarine.
- Penelope Keith (Good Neighbors, To the Manor Born) was a voice-over narrator for the children’s series, Teletubbies.
- Patricia Routledge (Keeping Up Appearances) was well-known for her “singing” ability in Keeping Up Appearances, but did win a Tony award for Best Actress in a Musical on Broadway in 1968 for Darling of the Day.
- Clive Swift (Keeping Up Appearances) has a brother David who is an accomplished actor who has appeared in Drop the Dead Donkey and Agatha Christie’s Poirot, among others.
- Dawn French (Vicar of Dibley) and Lenny Henry (Chef) are married in real life.
- Connie Booth (Fawlty Towers) is married to actor John Lahr, son of the late Bert Lahr who played the Cowardly Lion in The Wizard of Oz.
- Stephen Fry was Best Man at both Rowan Atkinson’s and Hugh Laurie’s weddings. Fry is also godfather to Laurie’s three children.
- John Inman (Are You Being Served) and Josephine Tewson (Keeping Up Appearances) are cousins.
- Mollie Sugden (Are You Being Served) worked in a munitions factory during the Second World War making shells for the Royal Navy.
That should hold you until the next time I open the book of little known or cared about facts.
In: Actors/Actresses,Comedy,Odds & Sods